Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Me


Well, not really. I’m still the same old me, just a little older since I’ve last been here. Though not much wiser… So then folks, how the hell have you been?!  All’s well this end, I’m glad to report. Happy to back in this weird and wonderful land of fanciful findings and frivolous fantasies. Where’ve I been without you all? As soon as I logged in here and saw those familiar names scrolling down through my dashboard I felt like I’d never been away. It’s really rather comforting.

Anyhoo, to answer that rhetorical question to myself, I’ve not been anywhere particularly special. Just hanging out with the neighbours, in a virtual metaphorical sense.  Spending too much time on Twitter and Tumblr, to put it more literally. In the past wee while I’ve gone beyond my lingering guilt at committing cyber adultery on you guys and fully embraced my micro-blogging addiction. Hence my total abandonment of this, my true internet home.

So - and you may have guessed this already - I’ve made it my New Year’s resolution to do something about that. I’ve already started giving the place a bit of an early spring clean (it’s not finished yet, I’ll get my blogroll and other wee foottery things back up soon enough), and I’ve decided to take a new approach to how I blog here, too. My addiction to Tumblr and the like isn’t hard to figure out; I’m pretty well occupied in my real life at the minute and only have the time and enthusiasm for popping in briefly, throwing a few posts up, and making a quick and quiet exit.

Tumblr makes that easy with its anonymity - on Blogger I’ve always felt an obligation to respond to each and every comment left here by visiting that person's page. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE catching up with you all since you’re all so damn lovely and have the bestest blogs ever, but that’s exactly the problem! I’ve been lucky enough to meet so, so many wonderful kindred souls on here over the past year or two that I always have a lot of loveliness to catch up with. And because of sense of duty to visit you all every time I post… well to be honest it puts me off posting. Not because it feels like a chore, but because I know how long it’ll bloody take! Not a bad complaint, I know. Just an impractical reality of my (previous) Blogger blogging habits.

I think it was the lovely Kathy who, in her infinitely witty wisdom, once told me blogging buddies should be like the people you talk to at the supermarket. You like them, enjoy and even look forward to hearing what’s been going on in their lives or whatever, but you don’t think they’re terrible and throw a huff if they’re in a hurry and don’t have time to stop for a chat. (Well, not unless you’re slightly insane.) It makes sense, for an analogy in which blogging is groceries. So, from now on, I may not always be able to stop for that wee natter, but then again I might have loads of time for a good auld chin wag… What I’m trying to say is I might not stop by your blogs every time I stop by my own, but I will get around to say hello eventually!

Then there’s that other issue I need to address - POSTS LIKE THIS ONE!!! When I haven’t been on in a while I feel compelled to spend ages posting a big warbling apology for not having posted in a while. And just like with my self-imposed visiting obligations, the longer it’s been since I’ve posted the longer I’ll spend apologising for not having posted - sure just look at the length of this post! No more of this carry on, is what I’m saying.

Shorter posts, but more of them; meaningful catch ups not obligatory visits; blogging because I want to, not because I feel I have to; and no more months on end of random apologetic posts! That’s my blogging resolution for 2012. Well, hope you all had an excellent night. Good thoughts and best wishes for the coming twelve months!

7 comments:

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Good to see you here....and I do understand the obligation theory...but dash it all, just post and hope for the frozen things in the cart not to thaw as you visit.....tee hee, Oma Linda

Lynn said...

Best of wishes for this New Year, Roisin!

Danni said...

Welcome back, love! I totally understand the feeling of obligation you get, but sometimes dammit, you just want to post but don't have time for much else. I post and dash pretty frequently these days, but sometimes pop in for a quick chat when I've got spare time. You've just got to look at it this way; blog for you and not me, though I have missed you. ;)

Wee ramble aside, I hope you have a magical new year and that these back problems quit giving you so much grief soon. xoxo

Heathen said...

Welcome back Roisin! No need to apologize, we all post and run or ignore our blogs completely from time to time. It's called life. I like the grocery analogy.

Glad to see you, have a Happy New Year!!

Kathy said...

Ah...glad you liked that grocery analogy. I still hold to that. And it's so nice to see you. I've been MIA myself. Felt a wee bit of guilt sneak in but I slapped it's head as soon as I saw it surface!

Happy New Year my Irish friend!
Kathy

Laura {Gypsea Tree} said...

Happy New Year Roisin!
It's so great to "hear" from you! I know what you mean about all you say here. Sometimes the time and commitment needed in this medium can make it a challenge to regularly maintain. I always wonder how in the world these "two posts a day" bloggers manage! I'm still trying to find the balance myself... I'm hoping to be a better blogger this year too as well as starting a 365 photo blog challenge for myself! Will see how that goes...
I'm glad to see you back and always look forward to hearing from you and reading your posts whenever time allows.
Happy 2012 my friend!!

Anonymous said...

Like I always tell myself, Roisin - "If you want to blog, blog. Don't wait for the perfect time, the right circumstances and all the rest of it." Trouble is, I seem to come up with the right ideas at the wrong times... and then, when I finally sit down to write, my mind's a blank and my post's not as good as I think it could have been!

Ah well. Having a brand new notepad helps, as we journos know all too well. ;-)

Chat to you soon! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails